With tons of information, and misinformation, circulating about weight loss, it is easy to become overwhelmed and even a bit confused about what really works, and how to make it work for you. One common misconception is that water weight will make the numbers on the scale go up, therefore water and fluids in general should be avoided.
Nothing could be further from the truth!
Yes, water retention can add to your body weight on any given day, but your goal is to lose fat, not water. In fact, water is fundamental to proper cell function, and well-hydrated cells are key to burning unwanted body fat.
New Research Links Hydration to Obesity
A recently released study by Chang et al. (2016) examined records of nearly 10,000 adults aged 18-64 and identified a correlation between individuals’ Body Mass Index (BMI) and hydration levels. The research team noted that people who were under-hydrated were at least 50% more likely to be categorized as obese.
How Drinking Water Supports Weight Loss
Water has a number of profound effects on your body’s systems, making a well-hydrated body akin to a well-oiled machine. Some ways water promotes weight loss include:
- Enhanced physical performance: Your muscle tissue is made up of mostly water, at an H2O to tissue ratio of 4:1. When you become dehydrated, some of the water from your muscles is diverted to other vital metabolic functions, reducing your muscles’ ability to contract. Well-hydrated muscles are key to getting the most out of any workout.
- Improved mental function: When you are dehydrated, your brain is less alert, and you may feel fatigued and lethargic. Lethargy in turn lowers your basal metabolic rate (BMR), meaning you burn fewer calories. Plus, when you feel tired you are less likely to exercise.
- Improved overall heath: All of your body’s systems rely on water to function at their best. Water plays a role in absorbing and transporting vitamins and minerals, storing carbohydrates in your liver and muscle cells, promoting good digestion, flushing out cellular waste products from your blood, and supporting your immune system.
- Improved skin health: Your skin is the largest organ in your body, and it relies on water to maintain its smooth texture and healthy glow. Staying hydrated helps eliminate skin disorders like acne, boosting your confidence to hit the gym.
- Higher basal metabolism: If you are dehydrated, your BMR slows down to preserve vital functions, meaning you burn fewer calories and feel less energetic.
Maximize Hydration and Nutrients for Weight Loss
When you give your body the fluids and nutrients it needs to function at its best, you increase your chances of burning unwanted fat and reaching your weight loss goals. One way to set your self up for weight loss success is via micronutrient IV therapy.
In this innovative approach to nutrition and hydration, micronutrients, electrolytes and fluids are infused directly into your bloodstream by IV drip, bypassing your digestive tract for maximum absorption. After just one session you will experience a surge of energy, and get a taste of how great your body can feel when it’s fully hydrated.
Nutrition and Hydration IV in NYC
To put yourself on the fast track to weight loss success, visit Advanced Cryo NYC in fashionable SoHo and let our friendly staff help you select the hangover cure micronutrient IV cocktail that is right for you. Relax in our spa-like clinic while potent micronutrients infuse into your body, drip by drip. And be sure to ask about our other treatments for health, beauty and weight loss.
Chang, Tammy, et al. “Inadequate hydration, BMI, and obesity among US adults: NHANES 2009–2012.” The Annals of Family Medicine 14.4 (2016): 320-324.