There is almost nothing worse than a whopper hangover after a fun night out. Headache, nausea, fatigue, cotton mouth and vague memories of questionable behavior lie in wait for you, the minute you open your eyes on the morning after.
There are dozens of classic hangover remedies that well-meaning friends and family members may suggest, but they rarely work, and some may actually make you feel worse. So what really works, and which remedies are just a waste of time and money?
Here is a run-down of the most common hangover treatments:
- Have a Hair of the Dog that Bit You: The reason you feel rotten after drinking is that large doses of alcohol are actually poison to your body. Consuming even more alcohol just makes things worse, so steer clear of this toxic remedy.
- Go Crazy on Carbs: The logic here is that eating bread and other spongy carbs will somehow absorb the acid and alcohol in your digestive tract, thus relieving your upset stomach. However, while eating bread doesn’t do much good after the fact, it is a good idea to eat some carbs before you start drinking, to slow down your alcohol absorption rate.
- Drink Plenty of Black Coffee: This remedy is often seen in movies, where black coffee is called upon to help sober someone up. While it may give your brain a jolt so you feel less tired, coffee is highly acidic and will probably not make you feel much better. In fact, it may make you feel worse.
- Self-Induced Vomit: Upchucking the contents of your stomach, including acid, bile and any remaining food and alcohol may make you feel marginally better. However, vomiting also makes you more dehydrated, so be sure to replenish fluids and electrolytes.
- Hungry Man Breakfast: Going out for a big greasy breakfast before even going to bed is a popular practice for many party-goers. But throwing grease on top of alcohol only makes your stomach more acidic. Settle for some soda crackers instead, which will help neutralize stomach acid.
- Sleep it Off: Time is the ultimate hangover healer, and if you spend it sleeping, you can mostly ignore your symptoms. But most people have things to do, so spending the day in bed is often not an option.
- Pop Some Painkillers: Over-the-counter NSAIDs and prescription painkillers may help squash your headache and help you sleep, but they will not restore equilibrium to your body chemistry, so you will still feel sick.
- IV hangover therapy: Most of the remedies listed here have been around for decades, despite their poor performance. One fairly new remedy that addresses all your symptoms, including headache, upset stomach, fatigue and dehydration, is hangover IV therapy. Because it bypasses your digestive tract, IV therapy does not upset your stomach, and its powerful ingredients work quickly to make you feel better in an hour or less. Finally, a hangover remedy that really works!
Hangover Cure Therapy in NYC
Most busy New Yorkers don’t have time for a hangover, despite plenty of opportunities to get one. If you have big party plans but don’t want to suffer the consequences, schedule an IV Hangover Therapy session ahead of time.
On the morning after, drop into our spa-like clinic and relax in comfort as our healing and hydrating cocktail infuses directly to your bloodstream, where it is quickly carried to your brain, stomach and vital organs to provide fast relief. Don’t try to muddle through your day with hangover symptoms. Contact Advanced Cryo NYC, and feel better, fast.