People who say they have cold hands but a warm heart may be onto something. As an expanding body of research catalogs the positive effects of cold therapy on human health, conditions such as depression, anxiety, sleep disorders and inflammation appear to shrink in the face of frost. Meanwhile, circulation, digestion, vital organ function and happiness hormones seem to thrive after being treated to an icy three minute session in a cryochamber.
The Benefits of Cold Therapy
Cold therapy has been the treatment of choice for soft tissue injuries dating back to ancient times. The ability of cold to reduce inflammation and deaden pain receptors makes it a first line of defense for muscle and joint pain. However, until recently, the use of cold therapy has been limited, largely due to impracticality and downright discomfort. After all, very few people are willing to take a plunge into an icy body of water, or soak in a bath of ice water.
Technology has changed all that with the advent of the cryosauna, a chamber cooled by nitrogen gas that drops skin temperatures below freezing for three minutes to stimulate a fight or flight response. As the chamber’s temperature drops, superficial blood vessels constrict, shunting blood away from the surface to the deep viscera, where it stays warm while picking up nutrients and oxygen.
At the same time, systemic inflammation and toxins are flushed from the superficial soft tissues and delivered to the lymph and kidneys for elimination. At the end of a three minute cyro session, as the body begins to warm, enriched blood returns to the surface, brining with it oxygen and nutrients that support healthy cells and promote a healing response throughout the body.
Some of the more notable benefits of Whole Body Cryotherapy include:
- Decreased Systemic Inflammation: Inflammation is associated with metabolic disease, including hypertension, diabetes and heart disease. Reducing systemic inflammation can literally save your life.
- Accelerated Muscle Recovery and Enhanced Performance: Athletes, dancers and fitness enthusiasts love crytherapy for its quick and effective treatment for pain and inflammation, enabling them to continually perform at their peak.
- Elevated Metabolism: A sluggish metabolism makes you feel tired and promotes weight gain. Cryotherapy revs up your internal engine, giving you more energy and burning excess calories.
- Reduction of Chronic Pain and Fatigue: If you suffer from a condition like fibromyalgia or osteoarthritis, cryotherapy can offer relief that may last for days. Regular cryotherapy sessions can help alleviate pain over the long run.
- Increased Collagen Production: Cold therapy rejuvenates the collagen matrix, improving your skin health and reducing wrinkles and cellulite. It is also effective in fighting skin disorders like acne and psoriasis.
- Elevated Mood State: A cryotherapy session releases feel-good hormones like endorphins and dopamine, and reduces circulating stress hormones like cortisol.
Whole Body Cryotherapy in NYC
If you are sick and tired of feeling sick and tired and want to set your life on a new trajectory, whole body cryotherapy can be a game changer. Imagine the impact of a healthier happier you on your relationships, career and overall mental outlook.
Advanced Cryo NYC in the heart of historic SoHo features whole body cryotherapy, localized cryotherapy and CryoFacial to boost your mood and blast your metabolism with increased immunity and more robust health.
Contact Advanced Cryo NYC today and schedule your first session to put the freeze on depression and disease. And be sure to ask about our unique menu of treatments and therapies, all aimed at keeping you healthy, young and beautiful.