If you are a skier, you know what a lifesaver the sport can be, helping you get through the long cold winter with outdoor fun and fitness. To get the most out of your vacay on the slopes, it helps to do some preparatory conditioning. Otherwise you may end up being a lodge bunny, or worse, taking a tumble and becoming injured.
Here are a few helpful tips to get your body ready for the rigors of skiing:
- Build Your Lower Bod: Strong leg muscles are of course foundational to good skiing. They also help protect your knees from injury. Performing squats, lunges and dead lifts three times per week will get your gluts, hamstrings and quads ready to kill it on the slopes. Work your shins with toe-ups too, to support you when turning and stopping.
- Crush Your Core: The muscles of your core help transfer force loads between your upper and lower body, and they play an important role in balance and controlled movement. In addition to planks and crunches, add some trunk rotations with a medicine ball to prep for the side-to-side motion of skiing.
- Stretch Like You Mean It: For skiing, flexibility is key to injury prevention. Focus on hamstrings, quads, gluts and shins. Thoroughly stretch your low back, hip flexors and inner thighs to prevent back strain and groin pulls.
- Step Up Your Cardio: If your gym has arc trainers, they are your go-to ski conditioning equipment to improve hip strength and range of motion. Add incline side-stepping on the treadmill to mimic an uphill climb, and throw in some interval training to prep your heart for variations in intensity during skiing.
- Get Your Chill On: Whole Body Cryotherapy sessions a few times a week leading up to your ski trip can increase your tolerance to cold and get your body ready for long days outdoors. WBC also boosts your immune system, protecting you from winter infections. Nobody wants to be sick on vacation!
Whole Body Cryotherapy in NYC
If you are a New Yorker, Advanced Cryo NYC in trendy SoHo is the place to go for WBC. Come in and get your chill on!
For an extra immune system boost, ask about micronutrient IV therapy, and have a look at our unique menu of other health and beauty therapies, so you can look as great as you feel as you shoosh down the slopes.