Scandinavians are known for their beauty, especially their flawless glowing skin. Could living in cold climates have anything to do with their vibrant good looks? As it turns out, exposing your skin to extreme cold for short intervals of time promotes healthy skin, from the inside out.
Your skin is the largest organ in your body, working hard to protect you from invading pathogens, keep your body at just the right temperature, and provide a protective barrier for your muscles, joints, bones and vital organs. It also facilitates the elimination of toxins through your pores.
How Cold Exposure Promotes Healthy Skin
Your skin is constantly shedding dead cells and regenerating new ones, but stress, environmental toxins, dehydration and inflammation can leave it looking dull, puffy and saggy. Exposure to cold can help put your skin on the road to recovery from the negative effects of modern living.
Here is how cold therapy helps your skin heal and rejuvenate:
- Your skin has sensory nerves that send messages to your brain when environmental temperature changes. In response, your brain sets mechanisms in motion to preserve your core temperature. When your superficial tissues begin to freeze, blood vessels constrict, shunting blood, fluid and toxins away from your skin’s surface and to your viscera to maintain your blood’s optimal temperature.
- From the viscera, excess fluids, dead cells and toxins are directed to the lymph and kidneys, to be eliminated from your body, while blood picks up nutrients and oxygen.
- As your skin begins to warm, your blood vessels dilate, welcoming nutrient-rich oxygenated blood back to the skin’s outer layers, promoting healing of damaged cells and the regeneration of new healthy cells.
- With inflammation, dead cells and toxins long gone, your skin takes on a healthy glow. Pores appear smaller, skin appears more radiant, and puffiness gives way to firm elastic skin. Acne and other skin conditions begin to heal and disappear.
- Over time, repeated cold exposure stimulates collagen production, giving you a reservoir of the structural proteins that healthy skin is made of.
Get the Benefits of Cold Therapy All Year Long
We can’t all live in Scandinavia, but no matter the weather outdoors, you can get the benefits of cold therapy in any season with CryoFacial.
The procedure is performed by a clinician using a wand-like device to direct ice-cold liquid nitrogen vapor over your facial skin. Combined with cleansing, moisturizing and massage that are part of a traditional facial, CryoFacial takes skin care to a whole new level.
Cold treatment in NYC
Whether you want to focus on your face or give your entire body a beauty treatment, Advanced Cryo NYC has a cryotherapy remedy to meet your needs. Located in fashionable SoHo, Advanced Cryo NYC offers CryoFacial, whole body cryotherapy and localized cryotherapy to treat specific areas. Contact us today, and schedule a cryotherapy session for glowing beautiful skin.